Sunday 7 October 2007

Book advice

I've been asked along to a reading-group meeting on the 19th of this month, of a group that deals with 19th century lit, principally the Brontë sisters. They'll be discussing The Professor, one of Charlotte's Brussels novels. As you may know, I'm a big Vic-lit fan

My dilemma is this: I haven't read the book in question, and I don't even have a copy. It would doubtless be no problem to read it by the 19th, but I'd first have to go into town and buy a copy, which would require me to be arsed.

I have, on the other hand, read her other Brussels novel, Villette, and both novels are based on the same limited experience of her time here, when she taught at a girls' school.

So my question for my peeps is this: should I get the book, read it and go; or not go; or go anyway and just sort of busk it by for instance looking up Wikipedia on the subject? (Which I now see is wholly unsatisfactory, although it contains a link to the Project Gutenberg copy.)

I'm going to have to go into town tomorrow, aren't I? I see that now.

Thanks for all your advice, darlings. What would I do with you?